William B. Taylor
"Counties of Morgan, Monroe and Brown, Indiana Historical and
William B. Taylor was born in Lawrence County, Ind., September 15,
1819. His parents, Joshua and Mary (Armstrong) Taylor, natives of Virginia
and Kentucky respectively, came to Indiana in 1809, and settled on a farm
in Washington County, where they remained for eight years, removing thence
to Lawrence County. In February, 1821, they came to Morgan County,
locating on a farm one mile from Martinsville. In 1834, the mother died,
and ten years later the father, with is children, moved to Green Township,
where he died in June, 1855. William B. Taylor is the fourth son and
seventh child in a family of eleven children reared in Morgan County, and
when fifteen years of age he began learning the blacksmith trade. After
one year at this, he worked for the neighboring farmers until 1839. He
then worked on a flat-boat between New Orleans and Martinsville for
Mitchell Bros. until 1842. For some time he worked in lead mines in
Wisconsin, and in August, 1845, he was married to Jane Estlinger, a native
of Washington County, Ind. They have two children--Mary A. and Sarah A.
His wife died in November, 1854, and one year later he was married to
Caroline Hough. By this union there is one child, Lillie. After his first
marriage, he farmed near Martinsville, in Washington Township, for nine
years, and then sold his farm and purchased another one in Green Township.
Here he farmed for thirteen years. In 1869, he began trading in stock, and
at present resides in Martinsville, engaged in the same way. Mr. Taylor is
an active member of the Republican party. He was County Commissioner for
two years, re-elected, and served six years longer. He was Township
Trustee for two years. He filled the unexpired term of office for Mr.
Perham (deceased) in 1861, and was again elected in 1862 and l863, and
again in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor are members of the Cumberland Church.
Related Genealogy Resources: